SEWING LESSONS // 2 HOURS
SEWING LESSONS // 2 HOURS
A two-hour private sewing lesson for continuing students ready to commit to taking their sewing and designing skills to the next level. During these individualized sessions we will hone in and deepen your sewing knowledge. Depending on your current skill level and goals, we will plot the course of your progress - be it making a garment from a pattern, creating your own custom garment, or altering your existing clothing.
Lessons are offered at the Portland Apparel Lab. A wonderful resource for aspiring designers, as well as hobbyists who need access to space and machines.
Duration: 2 hours
Location: Portland Apparel Lab // 425 SE 11th AVE (corner of Stark)
- Diving in and working on your custom project OR making a simple garment from a pattern as per the discussion of your goals from initial lesson.
- Greater understanding of how your sewing machine works, OR if you've taken the Crash Course In Industrial Sewing course at PAL, we'll continue using the industrial machines.
- Pattern reading. We will use a store-bought pattern and make your dream garment start to finish.
- Making your dream become a reality. Depending on your project goals, we will create a custom garment based on your idea and sketch. This may include:
- Simple pattern making *Dawn at PAL is the resident pattern maker and can potentially help you create a finalized pattern.
- Basics of Draping
- Sometimes dreams must stay in magical realm however, so we shall discuss this during our initial lesson before we dive in to create that invisibility cloak.
- Sticking to our action plan and following up with weekly tasks.
- Scheduling future lessons.
If you're ready to jump in and let go of some of the fear you may have around creating a garment and learning to sew, I'm your person. I like to experiment, be creative and take risks. Being a designer/maker requires a balance of creativity, risk-taking, patience, understanding of the rules, acquisition of tried-and-tested sewing methods, and the letting go of perfectionism. My teaching style is laid-back, fun, and supportive - with a foundation of universally agreed upon sewing methods and skills to guide you along your journey.
NOTE: I recommend Kathleen Fasanella's book: Entrepreneur's Guide To Sewn Product Manufacturing, and her blog the Fashion Incubator.
AGREEMENT BETWEEN TEACHER AND STUDENT
In the event that you - the student - needto reschedule or cancel a lesson, please give me a 24 hour heads up. If you cancel or "no show" within the 24 hours before our scheduled lesson because you forgot, I may not be that eager to reschedule with you. Given the appropriate amount of advanced notice, I will happily reschedule with you based on my current availability. If you have pre-paid for a lessons package, these lessons are non-refundable. I will extend a grace period of 3 months into the future for re-bookings.
In the event that I need to reschedule a lesson, I reserve the right to do so at any time and will happily reschedule with you. If for an unforeseen reason I am unable to reschedule with you, I will promptly refund you the money you have paid upfront for your package of lessons.
Payment for lessons are due in full at the time of the lesson, if you are purchasing just one session with me, OR if you are buying a package of lessons (which I recommend because it saves you a lot of money and helps you commit to your own learning process), payment is due at least 48 hours before the first of the series of lessons. I accept Venmo, Cash App, Paypal, Cash (US currency), and Checks.
3. Liability Waiver
I will do everything in my power to ensure your safety during our private lessons. I am a stickler about keeping your fingers away from your machine needle, keeping your foot off the pedal while threading or changing out your needle, and don't even get me started about using a rotary cutter and the potential injuries that can incur (those things are sharp). But if by chance you are injured during our lesson, or in the Portland Apparel Lab space, I unfortunately cannot afford to pay for your medical bills. PLEASE be safe, take precautions, and please don't come to a lesson under the influence of intoxicants.