Sign up for private and small group sewing lessons with me! I offer "Buddy System" lessons for those of you who would love to learn with a friend. Buddy System lessons are 2 hours long, and cost $120 total.
I teach sewing lessons Tuesday-Thursday 10-6pm at the Portland Apparel Lab. My classes are fun, conversational, and are tailored to fit your sewing goals. We have access to industrial as well as portable home machines. Come on by!
2 HOURS // 4 LESSONS
2 HOURS // 4 LESSONS
Save $80 and commit to creating a foundation of sewing and fashion design skills. As you may already know, it takes more than one or two lessons to acquire a solid understanding of garment-making. Sign up for four lessons, that you may schedule out as far as 2 months into the future. One class per week is optimal, but we can also do two per month. I tailor each lesson to fit the needs of the student. Before we begin, we'll go over your sewing goals and desired outcomes. From there, we'll map out a plan, sew together at the Lab, and then I'll send you off with homework each week.
This package of lessons brings the cost of a two hour lesson down from $100 to $80. A big savings, and the most practical of options.
Lessons are offered at the Portland Apparel Lab. A wonderful resource for aspiring designers, as well as hobbyists who need access to space and machines.
Duration: 2 hours
Location: Portland Apparel Lab // 425 SE 11th AVE (corner of Stark)
- Going over the basics: Fabric types and grain. Creating a "stitch reference guide" to get to know your machine and different types of stitch patterns.
- Practicing seaming. Going over seam types, when to use specific seam techniques, how to create a finished edge.
- Understanding basics of your machine, or learning how to use the industrial machines at PAL.
- Diving in and working on your custom project OR making a simple garment from a pattern as per the discussion of your goals from initial lesson.
- Greater understanding of how your sewing machine works, OR if you've taken the Crash Course In Industrial Sewing class at PAL, we'll continue using the industrial machines.
- Pattern reading. We will use a store-bought pattern and make your dream garment start to finish.
- Making your dream become a reality. Depending on your project goals, we will create a custom garment based on your idea and sketch. This may include:
- Simple pattern making *Dawn at PAL is the resident pattern maker and can potentially help you create a finalized pattern.
- Basics of Draping
- Sometimes dreams must stay in magical realm however, so we shall discuss this during our initial lesson before we dive in to create that invisibility cloak.
- Sticking to our action plan and following up with weekly tasks.
If you're ready to jump in and let go of some of the fear you may have around creating a garment and learning to sew, I'm your person. I like to experiment, be creative and take risks. Being a designer/maker requires a balance of creativity, risk-taking, patience, understanding of the rules, acquisition of tried-and-tested sewing methods, and the letting go of perfectionism. My teaching style is laid-back, fun, and supportive - with a foundation of universally agreed upon sewing methods and skills to guide you along your journey.
NOTE: I recommend Kathleen Fasanella's book: Entrepreneur's Guide To Sewn Product Manufacturing, and her blog the Fashion Incubator.
AGREEMENT BETWEEN TEACHER AND STUDENT
In the event that you - the student - need to reschedule or cancel a lesson, please give me a 24 hour heads up. If you cancel or "no show" within the 24 hours before our scheduled lesson because you forgot, I may not be that eager to reschedule with you. Given the appropriate amount of advanced notice, I will happily reschedule with you based on my current availability. If you have pre-paid for a lessons package, these lessons are non-refundable. I will extend a grace period of 3 months into the future for re-bookings.
In the event that I need to reschedule a lesson, I reserve the right to do so at any time and will happily reschedule with you. If for an unforeseen reason I am unable to reschedule with you, I will promptly refund you the money you have paid upfront for your package of lessons.
Payment for lessons are due in full at the time of the lesson, if you are purchasing just one session with me, OR if you are buying a package of lessons (which I recommend because it saves you a lot of money and helps you commit to your own learning process), payment is due at least 48 hours before the first of the series of lessons. I accept Venmo, Cash App, Paypal, Cash (US currency), and Checks.
3. Liability Waiver
I will do everything in my power to ensure your safety during our private lessons. I am a stickler about keeping your fingers away from your machine needle, keeping your foot off the pedal while threading or changing out your needle, and don't even get me started about using a rotary cutter and the potential injuries that can incur (those things are sharp). But if by chance you are injured during our lesson, or in the Portland Apparel Lab space, neither I nor the proprietor of the Portland Apparel Lab are liable.